Saturday, May 26, 2012

New/Old Entryway Mirror and Table

Here is my new/old entryway mirror and table. 
This little project took me about two hours to do, 
not including clean up and accessorizing.


 Both the mirror and the table were hand me downs from different friends. They originally didn't match and were stained dark brown.  I painted them a distressed white and used Rub' n Buff to add gold to the carved detail.  They were two of my early pieces that I painted in our old house when Casey was just a toddler.   I remember she wanted to "help" mommy paint and she ended up with a streak of white paint in her hair for several weeks.  She was a good little helper.  Now she is 14. 
I liked both pieces white, but with the new gray paint job in the Man Cave, the paint took on a yellow tone. 

Here it is last Halloween 2011. 


While I LOVE to paint (it's therapeutic for me), I HATE to sand and do it as little as possible.  This project required sanding because I had used a crackle finish on top of the original white paint job.
I only sanded the top of the table because I'm lazy.
Next I sprayed it with two coats of black primer.


One more coat of black Rustoleum Satin Black.

Next  I added my old friend Rub 'n Buff to the carved detail.
We go way back.

To finish it off, More sanding with a power sander.
I ended up with a chippy, distressed, kid proof entryway table and mirror.

The old white paint shows through and I like it.


I shopped the house and added some cream and brown accessories. 
I used the same little lamps and stuff I already had.
I picked up the lamps at Marshall's years ago.  Notice they are slightly different?


 
My husband's name is Henry, can you read the title on the little black book?


King Henry VIII


You can see some maps in the reflection of the mirror I'm playing around with.  One is of Coronado Island and it's dated 1956.  The other one is of Martha's Vineyard and it's dated 1941.  I picked them up for $2 each at an Estate sale and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet?


This was a very quick makeover. 
Sand, wipe down, quick spray paint, add the gold, sand again, wipe down, done.


My husband says I'm great at projects, not so much at the clean up part. 
That didn't happen till two days later.
Oh well. 


What would I do without spray paint?

Hope you have a safe and happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Thanks for checking it out.

6 comments:

  1. I liked it before, and I like it now! :) I love the distressed finish and the addition of the Rub 'n Buff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I think the details stand out more with it darker. Love how you accessorized it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowweee!! This is just gorgeous!!! I loved it white but the black is so dramatic!! Your treatment of it is dreamy!! This is the jute lamp make me wonder....and you don't have your own TV show because...????????? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Shannon - very cool! Thanks for using AMACO's Rub 'n Buff. I'd like to post this on our Facebook page to share with our fans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at Rub n' Buff! I love that stuff. Shannon your makeovers are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is quite a dramatic changeup from a little can of black paint. It really looks amazing. Rub n Buff is great, isn't it? Love those maps, too. I have been wanting to find a good map to hang on the wall. I'm trying to decide whether to paint my kitchen table today. Thinking about painting it gray.

    Have a blessed day, and thanks for the inspiration!

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...