Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Leather and Tacks

Henry's room is coming along slowly.  My blogging time has been limited as of late.  I'm coaching two volleyball teams and my oldest daughter just finished State Cup Soccer. 
I've been out of town the last couple weekends and it seems as if the rest of the week is spent catching up. 

Here is a little project I finished.
I think every Man Cave needs a little leather.
This project is an inexpensive way to add leather to your decor without breaking the bank.


I didn't take any before pictures, but the desk looked similar to this one only NOT as pretty as this cute little thing.  I picked mine up at a thrift store for $20.  Compared to what I see on other blogs, San Diego thrift stores are more expensive than the rest of the country.  My thrift store desk is not even that good of quality.  It had a Bombay furniture sticker on the bottom.  It was originally stained brown, but somone had given it the WORST paint job I have ever seen.  Sloppy paint drips all down the legs with a yellowish, goopy sealer over the white slop.  The legs were wobbly and needed to be re glued.  The only good thing about this desk was the size. 
It was perfect for the corner I planned on using it for and I had been looking for quite awhile for something this size at a price I was willing to pay.

I didn't take any pictures of the redo. 
I fit this project into the little time I have and I neglected the picture taking part.
I'll quit whining now about how busy I am, I know you are just as busy.

After a lot of sanding off drips and glops and re gluing the legs, I spray painted the whole thing black.  Then I sprayed the edges blue.  After more sanding, the desk was ready for a leather top and some studs.  I bought the leather scraps at We Are Fabrics in Solana Beach.  The leather pieces cost $8 a pound and I probably used less than a pound for the top.  I tacked down the leather with a spray adhesive and finished off the edge of the desk and the tops of the legs with left over upholstery tacks from a chair project.




To see other tack projects I've done go HERE


I'm moving the computer to this small desk.
  The leather top not only looks good, it's practical too because now I don't need to use a mouse pad.
The leather will just get better with age.
The border on the concrete floor you see has been painted over because it's too girly for a Man Cave.

Come back and see what other uses I found for the leather scraps and upholstery tacks.


Thanks for checking it out.







3 comments:

  1. Love it! Perfect for the space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out fantastic; I love the leather top with the upholstery tacks! Can't wait to see what you did with the scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon this is terrific and masculine I love it! You have given me an idea thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...