Monday, January 17, 2011

The Kid's Ocean, I Mean Bathroom

I have many projects planned for 2011. When we first moved into our track home ten years ago I painted the kid's bathroom to look like an ocean. The girls were one and four when we moved in. I know the day is coming when they will have outgrown their Ocean Bathroom and want a different look. Redoing this bathroom might be one of my 2011 projects. It's only paint and I don't get too sentimental about my mural projects.

The movie Finding Nemo was big around the time I painted this. The ocean theme works for both boys and girls. I didn't know how long we would be in this house so I played it safe with a gender neutral theme. If you want to create an "Ocean" in your kid's bathroom, I'll take you through the steps. I started by taping plastic over everything I didn't want paint on, tile floor, molding, doors, sinks, counters, lights, etc. I used a paint sprayer to achieve the background and didn't stop at the walls. The entire ceiling is painted too.



I used two different colors of a lavender blue (the same as their bedroom at the time) to tie the two rooms together. Their bedrooms were re-painted awhile back. The prep. work took about an hour to cover everything in plastic. The actual painting took all of five minutes. I bought the cheapest paint sprayer and used my dad's air compressor. The paint sprayer died a long time ago.

Click here to see Casey's room.

This created my ocean back drop for the coral and animals.



I painted the animals using basic acrylic paint and used pictures from sea life books as my inspiration.
I added painted jellyfish


and coral.




I painted a seal silhouette on the ceiling above the sinks.







and a shark in the shower area.


The shark caused some problems.


It took me awhile to figure out the reason Cami didn't like bath time? She was afraid of the shark. I explained to her he was a nice shark and the friendly dolphins would protect her. I even offered to paint a smiley face on the shark, but she didn't like that idea either. For years she used our bathtub and shower.



Mommy and baby dolphin.


The octopus.


My sea turtle.


Okay, I might miss the sea turtle.

5 comments:

  1. S, I'm glad you have these amazing photos to show your kids your amazing talent so the day there is no more ocean you have proof that there once was.
    Love.
    So what is on the agenda for 11?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy, I'm currently in the middle of a family room makeover. What do you have planned for 2011?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are soooooo talented! That is absolutely beautiful. The shark/dolphin story is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Heather, you are too kind. After Cami read this blog she laughed and said she is still scared of the shark.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...